Saturday, April 5, 2014

The (Book) List

So I'm making another list, one that I will (hopefully, eventually) actually complete this time. Except now with books-- I've read some things by some of these authors, and I already highly recommend them. If you have any suggestions, feel free to add them in the comments!

Jamaica Kincaid - I've read her short piece Girl and decided to check her out. She was born in Antigua and moved to New York to become an au pair, and a lot of her writing has to do with the subsequent experiences she had.
  • A Small Place
  • Annie John
  • Lucy


Gabriel Garcia Marquez - He writes a sort of absurd brand of magical realism, which totally appeals to me.
  • 100 Years of Solitude
  • Love in the Time of Cholera


Marie Howe - She's a poet, and I've read "Practicing" (which is sort of explicit) and "What the Living Do" (which is not-- it's also the poem one of her collections is named for) and thought both were really well-written and emotionally impactful.
  • What the Living Do


Virginia Woolf - I've never read anything by her, but lots of people have suggested her to me.  I was told to read her works in order of their publication, since the evolution of her writing style is amazing in itself.
  • To the Lighthouse
  • The Waves
  • The Years


Octavia Butler - She's a female African-American sci-fi writer, which is unfortunately not something that ever seems to happen with sci-fi. She's also amazing, so there's that.
  • Patternist series
  • Lilith's Brood series


James Baldwin - I don't know much about him, but he was a civil rights activist. I read his short story Sonny's Blues and got really into it.
  • Go Tell It on the Mountain


Ray Bradbury - Fahrenheit 451 is one of my favorite books, but I never ended up reading anything else by him.
  • Something Wicked This Way Comes
  • Dandelion Wine
  • The Martian Chronicles


Junot Diaz - I've only ever read some quotes of his on activism, but he's incredibly well-spoken  and powerful.
  • This Is How You Lose Her
  • The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao


Haruki Murakami - I don't actually know anything about him, but he's been recommended to me loads of times.
  • IQ84
  • Norwegian Wood


Catherynne M. Valente - Ditto with Murakami.
  • Deathless
  • Palimpsest

No comments:

Post a Comment