Saturday, September 29, 2012

Better late than never...Have a GREAT weekend!


The weekend is finally here!!! I hope for most of you that you have a great weekend. I know I will because tonight I’ll be going with a group from FC to Universal Studios Haunt...although homework first, right??? ;-)

It’s been a fun and eventful week, Thursday the Associated Students and Inter-Club Council hosted the Student Center Open House; which allowed students to play all the games in the Student Center (Room 214, next to Cadena Transfer Center) for free and snacks were also provided throughout the day. Hopefully you were able to stop by and get a glimpse of what there is to do on campus if you ever need a break from the day-to-day routine.

Something interesting I learned during my Thursday night Speech 105 (Interpersonal Communications) class, I thought I would share, was that it is not appropriate to jump to conclusions or assume anything.  There is a way to talk to someone (family, friend, significant other, co-worker, etc.) without making general assumptions and using accusatory wording, such as “you”, “always” or “constantly”, etc. to help prevent that individual from becoming defensive and feeling attacked.

There are three easy steps to follow that will enable a person to communicate without causing conflict.
  • Make an objective description of the behavior being displayed by the individual
  • Provide them with your interpretation of the behavior that was observed or heard by you/me. Make sure that one point of your/my interpretation that took place is positive, try to avoid negative statements.
  • Ask the person if your interpretation was correct or if you/me misunderstood what was said or took place.

Try this on someone this week and see if it helps prevent the usual response from them. But for now it’s time for me to get ready for my fun and exciting night at Universal Studios!

Until next time!

Joey

“Communication. It’s the first thing we really learn in life. Funny thing is, once we grow up, learn our words and really start talking, the harder it becomes to know what to say. Or how to ask for what we really need.” – Meredith Grey

No comments:

Post a Comment