Sunday, October 28, 2012

Don't Give Up...You're Not Alone


There are things in our lives that sometimes happen for a reason, yet sometimes we do not recognize that reason right away. Situations may occur that cause one to resign or unable to transfer one semester and this may anger them; even though in a day, week, month or even years later they may realize how not taking that road brought so much more success and/or happiness.

I know for me lately that has been the case. Incident after incident, both with family and academics was crashing down all around me. There seemed to be no hope. I have been in some very low points in my life; some I know will understand the depth of what I mean others not so much. So with everything crumbling around me, I was ready to give up on everything; leadership positions held, work, school, everything.
Then while talking with someone, they pointed out things about me that I take for granted and offered suggestions on how to channel the depressive energy into an area where I could still make an impact and allow me to feel good about it. I followed up on the suggestion and am grateful I did because giving up would’ve been the easy way, now I am helping a department that has been in need of assistance and my self-esteem has increased a hundred fold.

So although one door closed and it was one of the only doors I was familiar with and found a sense of self-worth, I am now entering a new door and path that will broaden my experiences and knowledge base. Things will always happen in life; sometimes it may take a while to figure out why and what one will need to do next. Just know there are people in your life, friends, family, co-workers, instructors, counselors, and so many others who want to help you and don’t be afraid to reach out to them. That is my biggest challenge and mistake, not reaching out to others when I’m in need or something is bothering me. Here are some lyrics from a song a friend gave me when I was at one of my lowest points…Saosin - You're Not Alone

Band: Saosin Song Title: You're Not Alone

He says he's got nothing left to live for
(He says he's got nothing left...)
And this time I think you'll know..

You're not alone
There is more to this, I know
You can make it out
You will live to tell

She's just like him
Spoiled rotten
Confused by the lies she's been fed
And she's searching for no one..
(But herself)
Her eyes turn to green and she seems to be happy
That she is here
And this time I think you'll know...

You're not alone
There is more to this, I know
You can make it out
You will live to tell

Until Next Time!

Joey McIntosh

No comments:

Post a Comment