Friday, March 7, 2014

Paradoxical meat

So Dan calls me up on Tuesday. “Hey, I need to move my gardening equipment into your backyard as soon as possible.” (This wasn’t out of the blue, we had been talking about doing this for awhile, and had been trying to arrange things for this.) “It needs to be sometime in the next three days.” “Wednesday’s out. I’m at school all day. Unless you want to get here at 8am, we do what we need to do and we’re done by ten.” “How about Thursday?” “I am taking a computer class that requires me to spend some amount of time in the computer lab. I usually set aside one of my otherwise-free days to go in and spend as much time as I need for it. Usually Thursday.” “My storage unit is being evicted in the next three days.” “Why do these crises never seem to happen at a convenient time? Like a weekend? Or before the semester? Or after?” “Alright, I can come over at 8am tomorrow.” “Okay, that’s fine.” He didn’t come over the next day, or the next. A lot of smoke and dust for no result. Typical for Dan, actually.

This post was intended to demonstrate how I balance school obligations with other things that come up in life. School always takes priority. Luckily, most of my friends understand that. There’s only so much time and energy. We need to be clear about what’s most important to put our time and energy into. That’s the price we pay.

Here’s a cartoon.



Peace,

Dave Roel.
Every act of conscious learning requires the willingness to suffer an injury to one's self-esteem.
- Thomas Szasz

No comments:

Post a Comment