Monday, May 7, 2012

You are your biggest hold up

I hope you all had a great weekend especially since it was very nice outside.

A conversation sparked today's blog. Someone in one of my classes overheard me talking about my college choices. I have one acceptance letter but I am waiting for 2 others, and in those options one happens to be an Ivy League college. As he was asking me questions about it, the things he said made it seem like he thought I had no chance of getting in, because I did not have a 4.0 GPA, and that I was not from some great family legend. I told him that you never know unless you try, and that the biggest set back is yourself. Every college and every major has its own requirements. He told me not to hatch my eggs before they were ready. I am not quite sure what he meant by that. But it got me heated a little, and I told him "I don't like anyone telling me I can't do something."

It got me thinking though about how many times people label us, make choices for us, and ultimately try and change us. I don't think we should listen to them. People don't want us to achieve what they think is impossible. I have been told I have bad luck, that I am too nice, too sensitive, that I assume things. I have been told I am this or that and I don't like it. I want to stop it but sometimes the harder you try to prove that you are not a certain way, the more people's minds determine that you are in fact that way. So I have decided that I know me like NO ONE else knows me. You can't tell me what I can and can not do, because the only person who knows what I can not in fact do, is me, and sometimes I think that I can't do something and I do it. I just wish people sometimes saw the person I see in me. The person I want to be, the person I am capable of being, instead of telling me constantly what I am not or the negative things they perceive in me. When negativity surrounds you it's hard to be positive, so I choose to be the positivity in my own life. I hope you all can do the same in yours.

Make today count!

Serena

No comments:

Post a Comment