Monday, March 26, 2012

Tolerance


I hope you all had a safe weekend. Sunday's weather here in So Cal was a bit crazy! At 11:00pm when I was trying to fall asleep listening to the rain outside, a neighbor shot off some firecrackers. I had to laugh, even though it’s not something you expect on a rainy night in March.

On Friday I had the opportunity to go to the Museum of Tolerance, hosted by the Cadena Cultural Center at Fullerton College. I have never been before and had a good time; well I should say a thought provoking time.

Before I get more in to the serious matters, I wanted to say something on a less serious note. People that are tall, you KNOW you are tall, so why do you stand in front of short people who cannot see around you? I am usually one of the shortest in the group, and some of the girls had to keep pulling me in front so I could see the exhibits on Friday. I appreciated them doing that, because sometimes I am too polite to actually say anything.

Okay back to the museum, have you guys ever been before? It is all timed for you to go walk through and lots of information and pictures to soak up. You are given a photo of a child to follow throughout the tour. They first talk about the idea of tolerance, and you go through the history of the United States on the ways in which we as a great nation were not tolerant at all, and we were downright nasty to those who were different, looked different, acted different, then what at the time seemed ideal for the society in place. It also takes you through the people who stood up for change, and for what was right. Now our tour guide was quite passionate, which is great, but I think with his passion and everything going on, and it being lunch time, I got over stimulated and by the time I left I had a massive headache.

They tried to make what happened in the Holocaust come alive to all who walked through. You read the story about a child and follow their life, and they paint a picture of the Nazi’s, Adolf Hitler, and the difference between an actual race, and a religion. They talked about the idea of something being taught enough and talked about, that people started to believe it. You walk through an area that is made to look like a concentration camp and then lead to a room that looks like a gas chamber and you were told of the stories of the people who lost their lives simply because someone hated them enough to want to wipe them off the face of the earth. We go through and realize that throughout our own lifetime there have been countries who tried to eliminate a race, a religion, or those who someone thought was beneath them. Then at the end you get a print out of your child and it tells you if they lived or died. The little girl I got was named Helena and the fate of her and her family is unknown.

I wanted to talk about this today, because everyone is predicted in some way. We need to learn and educate more, and be weary of not standing up for what is right. No human deserves to be treated like an animal. Just wanted to start this Monday off asking how you can make sure that you make a positive change for the future today? We need to learn to not breathe life into stereotypes and stop essentially bullying each other. It can start with you, but it’s up to you to educate your family and friends, but most importantly your kids. We have the power to change and we also have the power to make change.

Serena

No comments:

Post a Comment