Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Distractions

Wow, can you believe it is almost time for spring break? I think we can all use this time, professors, faculty, and students.

In case you want to get a hair cut or your nails done, today on campus at Fullerton College the Trendsetters are giving free hair cuts or manicures for people with A.S. Benefits. I got my hair trimmed up and really enjoyed it. I think here on campus we forget that there are services like this offered to us at a discounted rate, by people who are talented and are not going to mess up our hair, like we may think since they are in school. So I am giving them a shout out this week!

I do not know about you guys and what is going on in your lives, but I have been having a rough few weeks in all parts of my life. I do not like to divulge too much of my personal life on a public forum. I know I have mentioned in previous blog posts how with technology today, people do not often reach out to each other anymore. So today because of lots of reasons I actually deactivated my Facebook account. It will not be forever and it is just a little test I guess. A test for me, but also a test for those around me that only seem to think they know what is going on with me because of what they read on Facebook. People make assumptions, we all do it, but the best way to clear up assumptions is to talk to the person and not take what you hear or say as truth unless you talk to the source. I keep lots of settings private anyway on Facebook, for the fact that I know people do make assumptions and out of all the people you may have as a friend on there maybe 10 out of 100 people will actually ask about it, the rest think their assumptions are the truth. So today is a new day for me. I am often so concerned about others, I forget to put myself and my needs first. I answer texts, messages, and make it seem like I am available 24/7, which I am, but to those I care about. But this little experiment makes me wonder how many people notice things, and how many will reach out to you outside of the easy means that are available to us. But also how much more productive I can be without the distractions constantly coming to my phone or computer, if I take time to just shut out the world for a bit.

If you think about it we are living in a generation meant to distract us, if we didn't have all those distractions what would life be like? I was listening to the radio on my way to school, and the girl was saying how easy it is for people to meet people. Even being an online gamer gives you the chance to meet someone online, and people get distracted. These distractions come in many ways, for me it may be slacking off on writing a paper, for others it may be giving someone attention in an avenue where they shouldn't be giving that person attention. I do not want to seem like I am lecturing though, but we do make it easier and easier on people to cheat on each other because of the distractions we have out there.

Okay so I realize I kind of went off on a tangent. I get that way sometimes when I am inside my own head and have lots of things going on there. Lots I want to say, and rarely do I ever say it.

If you are someone at Fullerton College, it is almost time for spring break, I think over spring break we should be distracted from school though so that we can clearly focus when we get back from break. I want to have some healthy distractions though, and I hope you do as well. I know distractions can be necceassry sometimes, just like they can be destructive in other cases. Lets strive to only involve ourselves in the healthy kind and not forget that communication should be more than reading about someone on Facebook. Communication and being in someones life requires effort on both ends. So this spring break, hang out with a friend, and go to the beach to get distracted! You may see me there relaxing too!

Serena

No comments:

Post a Comment