Monday, April 30, 2012

"Who Needs Feminism" Campaign

I hope you all had a great weekend, it was beautiful out and even though I couldn't really take advantage of it I hope one of you all got to.

I wanted to take a moment today to talk about the ideas of feminism. On campus last semester we brought in a screening of the documentary MissRepresentation, and had a panel discussion after with a media fast challenge. This semester one student heard about a project going on at another college ( I believe it was Duke), and brought the challenge to our campus. We are taking people's pictures on why they need feminism.

This project has brought some interesting conversations my way. I posted the pictures on my Facebook and some guys brought their concern on me being a feminist. The problem is that many people have the wrong idea of what it means to be a feminist. Educating and bringing out the truth about what it means is the only way to make a person not fear feminism.

As a feminist, I do not hate men or bash men. Men can be feminsists and should be feminists. I love men, I have a lot of respect for the guy I am dating and his views on life and I would not be able to date someone that I had no respect for. But the idea is that a feminist wants equality for all, not just for women.

I hate labels of any kind, I do not like being labeled a Christian, a feminist or any other lables that go with politics either. Some of it I believe is because I don't like when others pass judgement on me before even knowing me and hearing certain words cause certain reactions in people. I like the door to be opened for me, I think it's a sign of respect. I like it when someone feels like they need to protect me, I feel it's a sign of love. There is nothing wrong with actions that are based out of love and respect. I love that some women choose to stay home and be a full-time mothers, but I also love it when a man stays at home and is a full-time father. I believe in choices for women and men, and fair treatment of both as well. I may not always be comfortable with the label and I realize those are my own issues. But I am all for the fact that no woman should ever be told that she can't be educated, she can't have rights or anything that is far worse, simply because she is a woman.

I am going to end that here for now but check out what's been going on here at Fullerton College and be a part of the conversation.

Fullerton College Media Fast
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fullerton-College-Media-Fast/131171173653562

Have a blessed week!

Serena

No comments:

Post a Comment