Friday, February 7, 2014

Balance life and school

How do I balance school work with my other obligations?

Time management is an important skill to learn for anyone, but especially for a successful student. I'll explain a little of what it's like for me. Top priority is always class and classwork. I always make sure to attend every class (missing a class is an extreme rarity for me, if for no other reason than I figure, hey, I paid to be here). Classwork should always be done with enough time allocated for it. The main distraction is always the internet, but a little discipline can keep me focused. Several hours a day devoted to reading, studying, doing problems, etc. I never designate a specific time, but slot in more work whenever time is available. As I say, it’s always top priority. My workouts have been cut back to bare essentials -- the main resistance movements and core work, done with my home weights, at home, for about a half hour every two days. Bicycling to school and back for cardio. Nowhere near the full program I’d like to maintain, but it’s serviceable for when time is scarce. Maintaining a relationship with such a schedule can be a trick, but I remind myself that my relationship is truly the most important thing I do. I’m very blessed to have a very understanding partner -- she’d have to be, as a grad student herself. She knows that time is at a premium. But we maintain a text or Facebook connection, as we can. Yes, a full schedule, but doable.

Let’s cartoon!



Peace,

Dave Roel.
Trust yourself. Create the kind of self that you will be happy to live with all your life. Make the most of yourself by fanning the tiny, inner sparks of possibility into flames of achievement.
- Golda Meir

No comments:

Post a Comment