Sunday, February 6, 2011

New year's day

It was the Lunar New Year holiday from the 2nd to the 4th of February in Korea and China. I don’t know if other Asian countries also celebrate this holiday or not, but this holiday is the biggest in Korea. My mom called me around 7 p.m. while I was at school, and asked me if I could go on Skype. I said I couldn’t but later realized that my whole family was waiting for me to get on to talk to me and see my face. I recalled the time I was there with family and had fun, so I called my little sister who is in Indiana, and spoke to her for about an hour. Being here alone was a great decision for me in terms of my education, but whenever this kind of situation comes, I need time to regroup.

In Korea, all of the family members gather at one house that usually belongs to the eldest. (As a Christian family, my family sings songs first, and my uncle leads a service.) We, kids, start a formal bow to elders. The elders give us word of blessings and a bit of allowance. Allowance is the best part for the kids and the worst part for elders, I think. Then, we eat lots of traditional Korean foods and chat for hours. The day before yesterday, I saw my aunt who lives in LA, and she bought me dinner in LA. She also gave me some money as allowance. I think this tradition is very worthwhile to keep!! :)

Today, I finally got to see the pictures of my cousin’s baby. It was a 3D picture that shows the baby’s eyes, nose, fingers, toes and every little detail. My cousin has been pregnant for only three months, and we don’t even know the baby’s gender yet. Well but, how could we see the baby this defined? I mean the technology is so awesome that we can see everything about the three-month-old baby now. I couldn’t believe it. When the time comes that I get pregnant, I will possibly be able to see everything my baby is doing. Very fun!

After all, tomorrow is another day, Brianna

No comments:

Post a Comment