Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Flashback Alley

Yesterday I noticed some of my lawn decor was stolen from my front yard. The jerks took these solar globes that glow and change colors at night. So I completely understand why they were stolen cause they are so cool. But of course I really wish they hadn't. Well that goes without saying. It's not like I willing want people to steal my things. That would be kind of weird...

But it got me thinking about the people who live around me. And all the shady creatures that walk by every day. I recognize all the drug dealers by face. It's so painfully obvious what they're doing...sometimes I want to ask them, "so is business good today?" Reminds me of my childhood.

I grew up in Placentia smack dab in the middle of two gangs, Plaz and La Jolla. I knew all the cars they drove and also knew if they were coming down the street it meant move your butt cause something was about to go down. The gun fire was a nightly ritual. Although as a little kid they left us alone. Granted it's not like I grew up in the streets of Compton. But Murray Street was MY Compton.

Then I moved to the seedy part of Fullerton and experienced even more crime and gang activity. Our house was robbed when I was 12. Yippee!! Can you say best day EVER!

On Christmas a few years back the police raided the crack house next to my moms house locking us in for 14 hours. It was "fun" to see the officers crouched down in my backyard trying to capture anyone who may attempt an escape. Again Best day EVER! Merry Christmas everyone!

Through my countless experiences I developed a keen eye for people who are up to no good. I know what they look like - I know their behavior as if it were my own. My husband on the other hand grew up in safe suburbia. Nice house, good family and friends. So it goes without saying my little Matty is a bit on the sheltered side. He's no fool just unfamiliar with street action. It's fun teaching him new things and showing him what to look out for. I tell him, these are the signs just watch and you'll see them. He's getting good at it now. I've completely corrupted him. In a good way I'd like to think. I believe people should be aware of their surroundings.

I'm a pretty good judge of character, just ask my husband. At first he was skeptical but through the years he has learn that 9 times out of 10 I'm right. Although I'll admit when I'm wrong. And honestly relieved when I am wrong. When I meet people they automatically start off on my inspection list. It's easy to pass but tough to redeem yourself if you fail. It's how I protect myself.

I guess you could say I'm a little paranoid but I grew up knowing the world was not safe. I've been burned pretty badly in the past (multiple times) and I don't have time for time wasters or jerks. Life is just too short to bother with people like that.

I really have no clue where this blog is going. I think maybe I should wrap up this little rant of mine. Thanks for letting me share!

Stay Classy FC!
Janet

No comments:

Post a Comment