Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Dear Gronk, Thank you.

So last week was amazing! I dropped my online math class and suddenly I can breathe again. No more looming dark clouds of polynomials and factoring trinomials for this girl. It's all in the past...well until next semester that is when I'll retake it ON campus. I do not recommend online math. It's the devil I tell you. Even if your considering it remember this warning.


So on top of breaking out of math prison I had the honor of interviewing Gronk who is the Artist in Residence. Last Tuesday I attended his lecture which was incredible. That man has led a spectacular intriguing life. His art is truly a one of kind and it's no wonder he has been so successful.



I would go on about his incredibly awesome life, but instead I suggest picking up the latest issue of the Hornet to find out more. It came out today in case you're wondering.


Instead I want to tell you about the unexpected effect he had on me as an artist. I'm not much of one, for instance I can't paint the very detail that makes someones smile affectionate or turn a still life into real life. But I love to create! I adore abstract art and lowbrow artists. I appreciate those who can paint like Michael Angelo but it does nothing to feed my soul. No offense.


I'm a timid person when it comes to creating my own art. I don't really have my own style but I strive to find it every day. Gronk's lecture was inspiring to say the least. Not to toot my own horn, but some of his experiences as a child mirror mine. Like using mayo to create art. Yes, mayo the stuff you spread on bread to make sandwiches. Weird I know.



But that's exactly my point! I never use how weird I am in my art anymore. As a kid I used it all the time without a care. Although through years of teasing I now hide my odd creativity. It's a defense mechanism. Hey we all have them.


Gronk is proof that it's ok to be you. It's ok to be weird or odd and express it in my art. I usually make things I know people will like. Usually I'm afraid no one will like it or think it's cool if it's too weird. But no more of that crap. My prospective has changed. It's like someone turned on the light for me. I love these moments in life when what you've been searching for is handed to you. It puts a smile on my face.


So I'm leaving you now to go paint. I'll leave you with my FAVORITE quote.


"All I know is, if you don't figure out something you'll just stay ordinary. And it doesn't matter if it's a work of art or a taco, or a pair of socks! Just create something new and there it is, and it's you, out in the world, out side of you and you can look at it or hear it or read it or feel it. And you know a little more about you. A little bit more than anyone else does." - P.S. I Love You. (a great chick flick too btw.)


Stay Classy FC,

Janet

No comments:

Post a Comment