Friday, October 25, 2013

HALFWAY THERE.

Everybody always says things like this, but I genuinely can't believe it's already mid-semester. The past few months have gone by so quickly.

This semester hasn't at all been what I expected, both academically and in terms of... other things. I don't necessarily mean this in a negative sense-- I didn't expect to be doing as well as I am in a math class (stats), or that I'd enjoy my speech class as much as I do. I really doubted that I would get all the classes I needed, or that I would be able to transfer to a UC or CSU next year, but I was totally able to accomplish both. And I actually didn't expect to make many friends, especially since I commute from Long Beach, but FC has exceeded my expectations in that regard as well.

That said, it's been a bit of an adjustment coming to a community college from a UC, particularly since I was on the quarter system. I'd gotten used to the relative anonymity of big lecture halls, professors who aren't necessarily invested in their students' progress, short courses and sudden exams-- which I actually prefer, to a degree, but I feel a lot more comfortable with the semester system than the quarter system.

My grades are also much better than they were-- I made a strong finish in my 8-week online anthro class, math is strangely making sense, and I really appreciate the option of having classes on a weekly rather than almost-daily basis, as it gives me a lot more time to devote to that specific class. Nothing has gone horribly wrong, other than withdrawing from one of my courses. It's amazing what a change of environment can do.

Stay classy,

Caitlin.

No comments:

Post a Comment