Monday, October 7, 2013

Relationship

Our third critical area of importance is relationship. This includes family, friends and co-workers, but is most strongly represented by our intimate relationships. This will be a major part of almost everyone's life. Very few want to move through life without a partner. There are some, but not many.

Someone once said that in relationships, you get what you can afford to pay for. That doesn't mean money. In this arena, emotional honesty, energy, commitment, passion, intelligence, self-respect, confidence and physical health are the coin of the realm. We tend to attract and hold those who match us in energy, emotional honesty, commitment, physical health, etc. If I am interested in having a partner with certain qualities, I'd probably be best served by working on developing those qualities in myself.

If I have a pattern of destructive, dishonest or even abusive relationships, if I am in a loveless marriage, or if I have no intimate relationship, my first step is to take the responsibility for creating that. I would need to ask myself what I would need to change in myself in order to attract or accept an appropriate partner, or heal my current relationship.

Okay. So there’s our three critically important areas to pay attention to in life. If we are exactly where we’d like to be in every one of these three areas, I’d say that’s a solid foundation for a happy, healthy, successful life. How many of us can say that we are exactly where we’d like to be in all three of these areas, though? Chances are, you can see there can be improvement in at least one of these areas. So now we know the areas we need to work on. What is that work, specifically? Ah… That’s what we’ll discuss next.

Peace,

Dave Roel.
To love and be loved is to feel the sun from both sides.
- David Viscott

No comments:

Post a Comment