Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Halloween

What were you for Halloween this time?

I was Big Bird!

I did trick or treating last year but I wasn’t really enjoying Halloween except for a bunch of candy. It seemed like trick or treating was more for little kids than a college kid! So.. Rather than doing trick or treating this time I was just home, doing homework and sometimes welcoming little kids with candy.. But, I enjoyed Halloween in my own way! I had a harvest party last Friday instead with a lot of friends. We carved pumpkins, made jack-o-lanterns, took lots of pictures, ate lots of pizza and candy and played games. I was roasting due to the costume, but it was so much fun!

As a Christian, I don’t celebrate Halloween like others, but I enjoy looking at other people’s costumes and houses! Our school had a costume contest last Thursday and I couldn’t take my eyes off of the contestants. They all dressed up with cute and funny costumes! I loved it. My costume was one of the things I enjoyed for Halloween. I got it really reasonable at Target and everybody loved it. (At least that’s what they told me!! …..oh well I am honestly not sure if they really meant it or NOT!)

After I carved a pumpkin, I heard a pumpkin prayer and it was really neat.

-Pumpkin Prayer-

Cut off the top: Lord, open my mind and fill me with your wisdom and guidance.

Scoop out the yuckies: Lord, take out all my fussies and frownies and fill me with your love

Carve out the eyes: Lord, open my eyes to see all of the beautiful things you have made.

Carve out the nose: Lord, help me to be a sweet fragrance for you.

Carve out the mouth: Lord, help me to always speak your words of love and kindness

Place in a candle: Lord, let me be a light to others for you have filled me with your light.


Being a Christian is like being a pumpkin.

God lifts me up, takes me in and washes all the dirt off of me. He opens me up, touches me deep inside and scoops out all the yucky stuff including the seeds of doubt, hate, greed, etc. Then, He carves me a new smiling face and puts His light inside me to shine for the entire world to see.

I was very happy to carve pumpkins, thinking of this prayer because He is the only God I will love forever.


How did you enjoy your Halloween? Did you have fun or just study home alone?

I hope you didn’t just study.


After all, tomorrow is another day, Brianna

No comments:

Post a Comment